[Advaita-l] Fwd: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 83, Issue 2

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Jun 6 04:52:22 CDT 2011

Humble sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Kindly bear with me, after long time, I am onceagain taking this
(unsettled) issue with your goodself.  Hope you wont mind.

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

The definition of a jnAnI is devastatingly simple - one
who knows Brahman as one's own Self, one who sees only the Self (sarvam
Atmaiva abhUt), one who sees Brahman everywhere and all things in Brahman
(yo mAM paSyati sarvatra, sarvaM ca mayi paSyati). There is nothing more
be said really, as far as a definition is concerned.

bhaskar :

Yes prabhuji, one more striking definition of the jnAni, as upanishad
itself asserts it, is : 'brahmavit brahmaiva bhavati'.  But I think this
definition holds good only on the paper as description of the jnAni's
jnAna depends upon the 'individuality', parichinnatva and prArabha of that
particular jnAni.  Since we cannot point our finger to a particular jnAni
and declare : he knows brahman so he is brahman :-))

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

A description, on the other hand, can be more elaborate and take into
account
other factors. These can include descriptors such as prasanna-vadana,
sarva-
bhUtahita, bhagavad-bhakta, Atmarata, AtmakrIDa, AptakAma, kRtakRtya, etc.

bhaskar :

Yes prabhuji, shruti says the vyAvahArika phala of the Atma jnAna is :
bhidyate hrudaya granthi, chidhyante 'sarva saMshayAH', and clarifies this
further and says when for the knower of brahman all this has become the
one Atman, then whom could one see and with what, who could smell with
what etc.. but we have to understand these descriptions also with a pinch
of salt since there can be a 'digbhrAnti' occasionally for the jnAni &
there can be a 'gap' of time in subsiding this ajnAna depending upon the
prArabdha janita dehendriya of that particular jnAni. So, no one
particular or universal description would suit all the jnAni-s due to
'their' prArabdha janita dehendriya manObuddhi ahaMkAra.  Under these
circumstances it is always better not to talk about a sandardized Atma
jnAna ( which is real only on papers) as it varies & fluctuates among
individual jnAni-s.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar