[Advaita-l] On the Boundary of Dharma

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Sun Jun 19 22:57:44 CDT 2011

"What I object to is to brand the set of mantras as "durgaa suuktam.h"
where only one mantra, as a freak, refers to durgaa." --> This is a purely
theoretical stance, where the practice of worshipping Durga using these
Mantras is not objected to, only the naming or title of the
Sukram. /// Very true.  This was also called Agni Sukta.Durga is
contemplated as the effulgence of Agni.Shri Vidyaranya Muni mentions this
sukta rahasyain “Vana Durga Kalpa” and derives the esotericessence of Vana
Durga from this Agni (Durga) Sukta.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

There is agni sUkta (specifically named as 'agni' sUkta) also in Rigveda.
In pratimAshuddhi, kalashasthApanAdi vidhi we chant this sUkta with agni
pada sahita & agni pada rahita.  And also there is rIgveda durga sUkta as
well (apart from devi sUkta).

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar