[Advaita-l] An article on Sri Sankara and Advaita Vedanta

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:21:13 CDT 2011

> I've recently written an academic journal type article on our beloved
> acharya which I've pasted below. My humble request is to critique if and
> when the scholars of this list can. Please keep in mind as i've written it
> from an academic view point, so my devotional emotions do not and cannot
> translate on to this. I intend to also write three other articles on
> ramanuja, vallabha and madhva but as Ad- Shankara is the closest to my
> heart, i thought i'd start with him :)

Dear Krunal,

My only point of critique with respect to an academic article would be with
respect to the date. With the exception of a few scholars like Kunjunni Raja,
contemporary academia does not in fact hold to the 788 CE date. Rather, the
period is left loosely defined as being somewhere between 650 and 800 CE.
Different researchers tend to place Sankara bhagavatpAda either earlier or
later within these broad limits, while allowing that one cannot get down to
more exact dates than these.

Regards,
Vidyasankar