[Advaita-l] (Alleged) Internal Inconsistencies in the Advaita Tradition

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 09:51:46 CDT 2011

PranAms.
The need for reconciliation is rendered redundant as these constructs are not
independently postulated but are very much incontrovertibly interwoven in the
all encompassing matrix fashioned by AchArya BhagavatpAdA.

Lets take a look at this excerpt from the Up Sahasri

That one seed called Maya is evolved into three states which come one after
another again and again. The Self the substratum of Maya though only one and
immutable appears to be many like reflections of sun in water.....Just as the
one seed called Maya is regarded according to the different states such as the
Undifferentiated, etc so the Self appears to be different in waking and dream
bodies like reflections of the moon in water.

And this excerpt from the AchAryA's sutrabhashya

Evam avidyakrtanamarupaupadhyanurodhiIshwarobhavati Thus the Lord conforms (as
Lord) to the limiting adjuncts of name and form, the products of Avidya; just as
the universal space Vyomeva ghatakaraopadhyanurodhi conforms (as limited space)
to the limiting adjuncts in the shape of jars, pots, etc. He (the Lord) stands
within the realm of the phenomenal vyavaharavishaye in the relation of a ruler
to the so-called jivAs or cognitional Selfs - vijnanatmanah, which indeed are
one with his own Self svatmabhutaneva--just as the portions of ether enclosed in
jars and the like are one with the universal ether- but are limited by the
assemblage of bodies and senses produced from name and form - namarupakrta
karyakaranasanghatanurodhino - and that are conjured up by Avidya
avidyapratyupasita. Hence the Lord's "Lord"ship, Ishwarasya Ishwaratvam, his
Omniscience, sarvajnatvam his Omnipotence, sarvashaktitvam - are all contingent
on the limiting adjuncts conjured up by AvidyA
avidyatmakopadhiparichhidapekshaeva; while in reality na paramarthato none of
these qualities belong to the Self shining in its own nature, by right
knowledge, vidyaya, after the removal of all limiting adjuncts.

In these (and many such multiple) excerpts, we see how the Revered Bhagavatpada
has made poignant use of both pratibimbavada, in talking about the Sun and its
many reflections, as well as avacchedavada in using the analogy of Universal
Space and Pot Space in explaining the two levels of Reality - paramarthika and
vyavaharika. As is seen by the perspective He thus provides, these two represent
different aspects of one and the same understanding of the jiva-ishwara
aikyatvam. Anyone who, as a allegiant student of tradition, will faithfully
study the entire canvas of the AchAryA's gloss, will doubtless find both these
seemingly antithetical models seamlessly integrated into the scaffolding of
Upanisadic instruction.

I also wanted to make a more general observation which - though not directly an
answer to your question, nor directed at you - may throw up a perspective that
may be of related interest to this and more so other threads here, I have not
personally had time to respond to.

On a cloudless Krishna Trayodasi night, the cusp of a twig seemingly points
towards the resplendent Moon. One blessed with a keen alert eye will see either
branch of the twig as being the guide that steers the vision towards the Moon.
One blessed with wisdom will realize that it is the Moon alone that illumines
the very branch, verily Its shimmer that enlivens the twigs as it were to be
beacons of Its very vision. One can either lose oneself in the contours of the
twig, or utilize the twig to gain the vision of the Moon and having thus gained,
ensure that one's gaze is ever transfixed upon That, without getting distracted
by the tree. That vision, is to be had, if the eyesight is sharp, and if the
instrument of the eye - the lens - is clean and transparent. Which twig to make
use of matters little if the lens is opaque. Rendering the lens clear requires
the lotion of Grace from the Guru, and the tapas of one's own untiring
self-effort - at what?  certainly not at a painstaking study of the tree through
a futile abd blurred vision - but at developing shatsampatti, at developing
daivi sampat - coupled with vairAgya borne tyAga - tasks I daresay are far more
formidable and hence readily avoided by most. Once the lens is clean, the
evershining Moon will doubtless bless the eyes with Its pristine vision -
tasyaisa AtmA vivrnute tanUm syAm.

Shri Gurubhyo namah
Hari OM

Shyam