[Advaita-l] The Da Da Da and Idam Na Mama teaching- Reply to Sri Bhaskar

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 08:28:11 CDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> The story is Vishnu's Avatara
> Mohini was very beautiful.  Looking at her Siva discharged the seed.
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> I am just wondering whether we are lacking  better topics in shankara's
> advaita to leisurely talk about shiva's ejaculations or shiva-parvati's
> monkey form copulation to determine hanuman's birth ??  Instead of looking
> at adhyAtmik meaning of these incidents (ofcourse, if at all anything is
> there!!) I think we are dragging these episodes too literally  to decide
> the 'cause' of human's birth that too in a list which is specifically
> meant for discussion on advaita vedanta as taught by shankara :-))  Kindly
> pardon me if the moderators of this list think it otherwise.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

In the Brhadaranyaka Upanishad Prajapati Brahma gives same instruction
to Devas, Men, and Asuras. The Devas are gods. They are very much fond
of enjoyment. They like Indriya Sukha. They spend much time in sex
enjoyment also. There are many stories to show this. Indra was fond of
Gautama Rishi's wife Ahalya and enjoyed her. Agni wanted to enjoy
Rishi's wives. Svaha loved Agni. She appeared before him in disguise
of Rishi wives except Arundhati. A son Skanda was born to Agni and
Svaha. Mitra and Varuna had discharge in a pot seeing Urvashi. Agastya
and Vasistha were born.  Chandra loved Tara the wife of Brhaspati and
Tara gave birth to Budha. To devas addicted to sense enjoyment
Prajapati said 'Da'.  The devas took it as Damyata to control their
senses from enjoyment.

The men have a weakness. It is Greed. Every man wants to accumulate
all things and wealth. He wants to say this belongs to me this belongs
to me. This is mine this is mine. Idam Mama Idam Mama.  He will not
donate to others and becomes very stingy in spending.  To men
Prajapati said 'Da'. The men took it as Datta to donate to others, to
give Dana. Man overcomes ignorance by Dana. Stop saying Idam Mama and
start saying Idam Na Mama. Saying Idam Mama is Ajnana. Saying Idam Na
Mama is Jnana.

The  Asuras have cruelty as weakness. They never show mercy.
Hiranyakashipu did not show mercy to his own son.  They kill
mercilessly. To them Prajapati said 'Da'.  They took it as Dayadhvam
to show mercy.

'Na karmana na prajaya dhanena tyagenaike amrtatvamanasuh'

'Not by work, not by progeny, not by wealth, only by renunciation some
have attained Immortality.'

How to do this Tyaga? Like in a homa the Tyaga is Idam Na Mama.
Indraya Svaha Indraya Idam Na Mama. Do Dana to the deserving person.
This is best path to remove Ajnana.

-Venkatesh