[Advaita-l] अनिर्वचनीयख्यातिः (सदसद्विलक्षणत्वम्) in the श्रीमद्भागवतम् Part 2 (2) - Concluded

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 10:09:20 CDT 2011

Namaste

I feel giving Dana is a better way to get Jnana than Self Inquiry like
Who am I. In another email reply to Sri Bhaskar I explained for us
Manushyas Dana is best path. Donating something a man cuts his
attachment to that thing. Man is attacked by Ajnana because of This is
mine feeling all the time. He thinks of his possessions always and it
prevents him from success. With attachments removed he can know Self
as it is with no external disturbance. 'Idam Na Mama' this is not mine
is better than questioning 'Ko smi' Who am I. The Idam Na Mama is the
magic formula for success. The Puranas also stress the high importance
of Dana in Kali Yuga.

2011/3/14 Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com>:

> Second, a response to your question: At any given point of time, every
> human being always has some kind of answer to the question "who am
> I?" The only problem as far as vedAnta is concerned is that except for
> one right answer, all others rely upon misidentifications of this "I".
> These are to be discarded, layer by layer, or all at once. That is the
> point of the enquiry into the Self. One does not arrive at the silence of
> advaita without understanding all the noise that one imposes upon it,
> rejecting this noise, and then going through the discipline of Self-enquiry
> (in whatever form). Although the innermost silence is never really lost
> anywhere anytime, all the noise of vyavahAra gets in the way of abiding
> in that silence.
>
> If the answer is already known as silence, then one should not create
> more noise. Else, one should put on the noise-cancelling headphones
> represented by the process of Self-enquiry.
>
> Regards,
> Vidyasankar

-Venkatesh