[Advaita-l] Beeja Mantrakshara Durga Saptashati

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 10:15:56 CDT 2011

Namaste

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Venkata sriram P
<venkatasriramp at yahoo.in> wrote:
> Shri Narahari Bhatt, a great upAsaka of Srividya who family has been blessed by the acharyas of sringeri, is the current pItha devata archaka who >performs the Srichakra Navavarana Archana and Chandramaulishwara Puja in the morning.  This morning puja can be seen in Narasimha Vana and it is >a feast to the eyes to see Shri Narahari Bhatt performing Sriyantra Puja and Panchayatana Worship which involves Sphatika Meru Yantra, Nrisimha >Salagrama, Ratnagarbha Ganapati.

I have some questions.

I have one Meru Sri Yantra of Panchaloha . I do Puja with Durga Sukta
Sri Sukta and some Saraswati mantras. Is this sufficient? One book
mentioned you can do Puja with Devi Khadgamala Stotra also.

> An old copy of Katyayani Tantra, edited by Nrisimha Bharati & Satchidananda Nrisimiha Bharati Mahaswamigal of Sringeri, is preserved by Sri Narahari Bhatt.  This book lays down the rules & regulations of Chandi Parayana & Chandi Homa and Sringeri Pitha ONLY follows this book that was edited by HH Nrisimha Bharati.

> If you are not initiated in Navakshari Mula Mantra, then you can only chant the Sapthasati sans the above shaDangAs.  Then it becomes only a part of Markandeya Purana and NOT a mAla mantra. Sapthasathi becomes a mAla mantra only if prefixed & suffixed with Navakshari Mula Mantra.

One day some Purohitas were doing Chandi Homa. They asked me to join
in saying Saptashati. In the beginning they were making offerings with
Navakshari Mantra also. I was saying the same with them. Now do I have
the initiation or not?

> But my advice is that without going too deep into the tantra rahasyas, one can enjoy the beauty of the poetic literature of Sapthasati and chant with devotion the 4 hymns ie., brahma krita devi stuti, shakrAditakrita devi stuti, aparajita stuti & narayani stuti.
>
> Afterall, we want devotion at the holy feet of Divine Mother and not tantrika siddhis.
>
> That is what was the advice of acharya Shri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> regs,
> sriram

-Venkatesh