[Advaita-l] vyAsa - a portfolio

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Mar 27 00:42:40 CDT 2011

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Venkata sriram P wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> Kurma Purana names 27 vyAsAs in Vaivasvata Manvantara.  They are:
>
> svAyaMbhuva manu, prajApati, shukrAchArya, brihaspati,
> sUrya, yama, dEvEndra, vashiShTha, sArasvata, tribhuvana,
> riShabha, sujEta, dharma, suchakSha, trayyAruNi, dhananjaya,
> kritanjaya, rutanjaya, bharadwAja, Gautama, vAchashrava,
> nArAyaNa, triNabindu, vAlmiki, shakti, parAshara, jAtukarNa,
> kriShNadvaipAyana.
>
> Devi Bhagavata mentions 28th vyAsa as “ashwatthAma”.

The Vishnupurana says DrauNi "son of droNa" which means the same.  I find
this curious because Ashvatthama is a rather villainous character in the
Mahabharata being responsible for the slaughter of the children of the
Pandavas.

> Generally we don't find in South but in North, whoever expounds the
> purANa, first his seat is worshipped with flowers which is called "vyAsa
> gaddi".  The crossed stand to keep the holy books is called "vyAsa
> pIth".

And the Brahmanas who specialized in the recitation of puranas have the
surname Vyas. :-)