[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's Birth Date

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu May 5 09:03:46 CDT 2011

> There is added value in discussing Purva Paksha arguments. What are
> other positions and how our position is tackling them? If you pick up
> a Grantha like the Sankara Sutra Bhashya it is full of Purva Paksha
> arguments. Without Purva Paksha there will not be a desire to know
> Siddhanta. Athato Siddhanta Jijnasa.

Given that vedAnta deSika lived many centuries after Sankara, his is really an
apara paksha, is it not?!!

When the siddhAnta was already given in the sUtra bhAshya, having anticipated
all these later arguments and having presented many other pUrva pakshas, it
would behove you to read the sUtra bhAshya first yourself and understand it.

There would be added value to this list, if you can take the time to understand
the issue from all sides and present your own analysis of what the SAnkara
bhAshya says and what others say. This would be far more valuable than merely
presenting some counter-argument in the form of a question to the list.

Regards,
Vidyasankar