[Advaita-l] Adi Shankara,s birth date.

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 10:31:23 CDT 2011

Namaste

Adi Sankara has referred Sundara Pandya Karika in Bhashya of the 4th
Sutra. Page 45 in Thibaut's translation-

http://www.archive.org/stream/vedntasutrastr01bdar/vedntasutrastr01bdar_djvu.txt

' When there has arisen (in a man's mind) the knowledge,
" I am that which is, Brahman is my Self," and when,
owing to the sublation of the conceptions of body, relatives,
and the like, the (imagination of) the figurative and the false
Self has come to an end^; how should then the effect^ (of
that- wrong imagination) exist any longer? As long as
the knowledge of the Self, which Scripture tells us to search
after, has not arisen, so long the Self is knowing subject; J
but that same subject is that which is searched after, viz.
(the highest Self) free from all evil and blemish. Just as
the idea of the Self being the body is assumed as valid (in
ordinary life), so all the ordinary sources of knowledge
(perception and the like) are valid only until the one Self
is ascertained.'

But there is no name Sundara Pandya mentioned in the Bhashya at all.
How do we know it is in Sundara Pandya Karika? Where is this Karika
found? Any comments?

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya
<sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Vidyasankarji,
>
> My intention is to express my surprise that  was  there really such an exact occurrence of the same verses in Adi Sankaracharya's Brahmasutrabhashya  as well as in  the some work of Sundara Pandya.  It will be nice if any of our learned group members can enlighten us on this,  preferably by quoting the verses. Otherwise it is going to take time for me to go through the works of Sundara Pandya.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sunil KB
>
> From: Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Adi Shankara,s birth date.
> To: "Advaita List" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
> Date: Monday, May 9, 2011, 7:34 AM
>

>> BTW does anybody have the verses which Sundara Pandya reportedly lifted from Sankara's Sutrabhashya or even if some may think the reverse to be the case.?
>>

> Sunilji,
>
> I would request more careful wording from you. It is well established that Sankaracharya
> quotes Sundarapandya and not the other way round. Usage of the term "reportedly lifted"
> carries unsavoury implications of plagiarism, which is absolutely not the case. Perhaps it
> is unintentional on your part, but that is all the more reason to be careful in word usage!
>
> There are quite a few thorough studies of whatever meager textual evidence we have for
> pre-Sankaran Vedanta. Please see the references mentioned with respect to this, in
> http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/biblio.html.
>
> Regards,
> Vidyasankar

-Venkatesh