[Advaita-l] Mantrapushpam > Vedic Education

(Maitreya) Borayin Larios shrimaitreya at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:32:39 CDT 2011

Dear Venkatesh Murthy,

Thanks for your imput. I am well aware that some mantras are very long and
that pādas of these can be long. But as far as I am aware the pañcāśat
breaks are meant for the advanced recitation. After a few rounds of
memorizing smaller units, gradually they increase the size of the text to be
recited. Ultimately students have to chant the whole chapter (anuvaka) by
heart, so that the length here would only be a problem if the students had
to memorize the 50 pādas from the beginning (which is not the case).
My doubts regarding the count of the 50 words are regarding the mūla
recitation, which is of course with the words clustered by sandhi. Students
are not aware of the of the individual words, until they learn padapātha.
If you have learned the Veda by counting words, could you please explain how
this is done?

Best,
Maitreya Larios
--
विद्या ददाति विनयं विनयाद्याति पात्रताम् ।
पात्रत्वाद्धनमाप्नोति धनाद्धर्मं ततः सुखम् ॥