[Advaita-l] Reference to Boudhavatara in sankalpa

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 11:53:43 CDT 2011

Is not Lord Buddha an avatara in the Kali yuga? He gave the moral code to the Nastikas and and he also gave metaphysical truths from the Sankhya and beyond (Sankhya) to the elevated jijnashus. He was not permitted to teach jnana like a brahmin does yet he demolished the concept of Sankhya's plurality of the souls  in an unconventional way. He went beyond  the  individual identity (through the five koshas) and talked about the Tathagatagarbha, the all-encompassing-awareness or the Dharmabody. Thanks to Adi Sankaracharya that we the advaitins can understand Lord Buddha's frustration with the concept of the plurality of the souls.