[Advaita-l] Can a mithyA-vastu produce an effect? असत्यवस्तुनः अर्थक्रियाकारित्वम्

ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli shankarabharadwaj at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 04:39:17 CDT 2011

"इदं शरीरस्थं यद्गृह्यतेऽग्रे प्राक्प्रतिबोधादपि ब्रह्मैव आसीत्सर्वं    चेदम् ।
किन्तु अप्रतिबोधात् अब्रह्म अस्म्यसर्वं च इत्यात्मन्यध्यारोपात्कर्ताऽहं
क्रियावान्फलानाञ्च भोक्ता सुखी दुःखी संसारी इति च अध्यारोपयति"

Actually this "brahman 'thinks' due to ignorance" is what advaita-critics really
complain about. This is also why they acknowledge a second principle which is
the abode of ignorance, to "relieve brahman from that defect". I think it needs
a little more explaining on this, because  when we say everything is Brahman,
the "it" is a little confusing.

"Non-advaitins think that Advaita holds that there is a real transformation of
Brahman as jiva."

Because they are essentially pariNAma vAdin-s. That the world is brahma vaivarta
and not brahma janita, is not merely an alternate explanation but introduces
another frame of reality.

Shankar

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue May 31 01:04:40 CDT 2011