[Advaita-l] Traditional Scholarship vs Modern Pseudo-Intellectualism

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 22:25:13 CST 2011

>Vidyasankar ji wrote: We either have the blanket "right-wing" dismissal of all such >scholarship
> that we have seen on this list recently, or we have the "left-wing" dismissal of
> all such scholarship, which controls the fate of academia in India today.

I am surprised to see people dismissing even sympathetic and scholarly
expositions coming in from western scholarship, by advancing ad
hominem arguments. There is palpable angst caused by other factors.

> The freedom to
> incorporate aspects of other systems of thought into one's own should be
> allowed to all serious thinkers, by default.

Certainly yes, that goes without saying.

>> Finally, advaita vedAnta as a system of thought has no monopoly on the
> dictum, "paramatam apratishiddham anumataM bhavati".

But as far as I am able to see, only an advaitin  is permitted and
encouraged to do the kind of questioning and analysis of everything
under the sun, including his own underlying assumptions and cultural
conditioning, which alone makes the dictum quoted above, truly
meaningful. Conversely, anyone who is able to empathetically
understand other traditions without distortion and misrepresentation,
*including especially advaita vedanta*, is willy nilly an advaitin,
whether or not he choses to describe himself in that manner.  My
facile position is that once the vedanta-pramANa works through
receptive study of Advaita, we cannot unlearn advaita vedanta since it
is not another set of concepts and beliefs to be believed in and
subscribed to or set aside by choice; the effect of the study of
advaita vedanta being very similar to "growing up" ; an adult cannot
regress back to childhood.

Om
Raghav