[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:06:49 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Naresh Cuntoor <nareshpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> > RV: I agree but Shankaracharya does not clarify what uksha and rshabha
> are.
> > According to Haridas Sastry (Review of Beef in Ancient India), uksha and
> > rishabha refer to medicinal herbs of the same shape still found in India.
> >

> Please re-read the passage that Vidyasankar quoted where it is clearly
> stated -
> ukshA = secanasamarthaH pungavaH
> RshabhAs =  tato'py adhika-vayAH
>
> In other words ukshA is like a teenaged bull, Rshabha is older.
>
> RV: If you read the book I quoted "Review of Beef in Ancient India", it
argues elaborately why Shankara does not talk about bull (young or old) but
only two medicinal herbs of different intensities. The best way to
ascertain the truth is to look up the procedure to the rituals referred to
in the upanishadic text. Does any one know what ritual it is and where it
is described?
-Naresh