[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Nov 25 03:41:52 CST 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Yes Adi Sankara is greatest authority for Vedanta but he went from
Brahmacharya to Sanyasa. His knowledge of rituals would be theoretical
not practical. In ritualistic acts he can repeat what he heard from
others but not from personal experience.

>  This line of argument, in my opinion, somehow not convincing!!  Yes,
shankara does not practically performed hOma havana but he is shAstra
vetta ( a sarvajna in shAstra & dharma shAstra vichAra) and know very well
the intricacies & subtleties of ritualistic part of veda-s i.e. karma
kAnda.  Hence he approached mandana mishra for the debate.  I dont think
one has to practically burn his hands to know the fire power:-))
In many texts they say Madhuparka must have meat in it. But today in
practice there is no
meat in Madhuparka. Theory is sometimes not same as practice.

>  Yes, but theory (veda & smruti texts in this case) is what stand as
pramANa in karma/dharma jignAsa.

A Brahmachari Sannyasi cannot be writing from experience how to eat Bull
meat and get a wife pregnant with a learned son.

>  One can argue that he had that experience during the parakAya pravesha
:-)) A saNyAsi's mind was very much there in king's body to experience the
gruhasthAshrama dharma in general & kAma shAstra in particular.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar