[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Sun Nov 27 23:46:44 CST 2011

praNAms Sri Venkatesh Murthy prabhuji
Hare Krishna

>  Since my guruji,  Sri vidyA prabhuji himself is handling this issue I
dont have to say anything, he would reply to your observations in a more
appropriate way..Anyway, if you could permit me here is 2 naya paisa worth
comment on your observation from my desk.

Yes a Sista will consider Sankara Bhashya but he must also consider
Smruti and other references. If he does that he will 100% conclude
Sankara Bhashya cannot be taken directly because the direct meaning is
against other works. He must take the modfied meaning of Sankara
Bhashya and not eat Bull meat if he has desire to have a learned son.

>  There are plenty of smruti-s (like Apasthambha dharma sUtra-s & gautama
dharma sUtra-s) and purANa texts which prescribes meat eating in the form
of prasAdaM or yajna shesha without particularly putting any 'yuga'
boundaries to this!! If memory serves me right, some sUtra-s (probably
Apasthambha) even directly recommends meat eating without purifying it as
prasAdaM!!  Somewhere it recommends one should not take ready made food,
and flavored food except raw meat, honey & salt.  Somewhere else it also
says one should not eat 4 footed animals with an exception of boar,
tortoise, hare, porcupine etc.:-))  So, you see, in the non-veg menu not
only goat, beef it is more than that in smruti texts :-))  Moreover, as
Sri vidyA prabhuji clarified, husband and wife eating meat is a special
occasion and they have definite purpose (iccha) in doing so..And, more
importantly,  neither shruti nor shankara saying that this particular
'food' item is recommended only for other yuga-s for daMpati-s and in kali
yuga we need to search for some other alternatives :-)

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar