[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 01:49:03 CST 2011

Dear Vidyasankarji,

I read the Sankarbhashya years ago and now I looked at it.  Thank you for your note.

"Atha ya iscchetputro me paNdito vigeetah samitiMgamah shushrushitaM ......................mAMsoudaman pAchayithvA.
sarpishmantamashneeyAtA Eeshvarou janayitve oukshenavArishamenava"

"He who wishes that a son should be born to him who would be a reputed scholar,
frequenting the assemblies and speaking delightful words, would study all the Vedas
and attain a full term of life, should have rice cooked with the meat of a vigorous
bull or one more advanced in' years, and he and his wife should eat it with
clarified butter. Then they would be able to produce such a son."

The verses of Veda / Vedanta should be interpreted in a Paroksha way, acoording to their own
injunctions. Yes, Adi Sankaracharya had given his interpretation and that is great.
Though indirectly the taboo for eating meat is broken due to the earnestness for
getting the required child and also the procedural help.

Regards,

Sunil KB