[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Nov 30 23:05:07 CST 2011

praNAms Sri Venkatesh prabhuji
Hare Krishna

But if Sruti starts to say something on Dharma, Achara and Vyavahara we
have a lot of Dharma Sastra sources
coming to our rescue. Because Dharma keeps changing. Sruti says something
but thing may not be Dharma today.

>  Whatever may be the issue here, imho, this is one of the basic
misunderstandings of vedic saMpradAya.  For dharma jignAsa also shAstra in
the only pramANa.  In the very first sUtra of brahma sUtra shankara
clarifies how the dharma & brahma jignAsa different from each other.
Interestingly during his explanation, shankara gives the example of pashu
vadha krama in yagna where it has been explained how first heart and then
tongue to be cut in a particular ritual.  So, IMO, there is not second
opinion among traditionalists with regard to authority of shruti/veda in
both dharma & brahma jignAsa. And there is no desha, kAla restrictions as
such for the declarations of veda/shAstra.  Shankara himself clarifies
this in his commentary somewhere, ayam dharmOyamadharmamiti shAstrameva
vijnAne kAraNam, ateendriyatvAt tayOH, aniyata desha kAla
nimitatvAccha..(reference in third adhyAya somewhere).  So, it is an
erroneous thinking if we say shAstra can be substituted & modified by
paurusheya grantha & AcharaNa.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar