[Advaita-l] Nitya Karma question

Kathirasan K brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 20:22:27 CDT 2011

Namaste ji,

Please my replies:

OK.
> So says sha~Nkara :
> nityAnyadhigatAni karmANyupAttaduritaxayArthAni.
> But is there any scriptural proof(from veda-s) to support this view ?

KK: I am sorry I don't know of any from the shruti. I don't have as much
references from the karma kanda too. I would be glad to know if there is
shruti pramana to show the disagreement with Shankara's view.

OK.
> So, do you mean to say that even a non-saMnyAsI can leave karma-s if he is
> ready to face pratyavAya ?
> Is it permitted to not perform nitya-karma without leaving three Ashrama-s
> ?

KK: While it is a mandate for people of the 3 varnas to perform nitya karma,
there are also others like Shudras, women and nastikas who seem to be very
comfortable facing their pratyavaya. As long as one is a ashrami, one should
not abandon the nitya karmas.

> On the other hand, it only urges one to do one's
> > duties/karmas, especially for mumukshus who aren't sannyasins.
> >

> So, non-saMnyAsi-s, who are not-mumuxu-s and are still AshramI,don't need
> perform nitya-karma ?

KK: The keyword is 'especially'.