[Advaita-l] samsaara

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:57:07 CDT 2011

Here is one more explanation to the 'ocean' ness of samsara - transmigratory
existence:

There is a hexad called षडूर्मयः - ShaDUrmayaH - Urmi is a wave.  The six
'waves' are made up of three pairs:

1. jarA-mRtyU - birth  and death pertaining to the gross body
2. kShut-pipAsA - hunger and thirst pertaining to the subtle (prANamaya
sharIra)
3. shoka-moha - misery and delusion pertaining to the subtle body (mind)

Since these six 'waves' keep battering the jIva incessantly, as long as the
jiva is in ignorance, this state of samsara is called a 'sAgara', ocean.

For the VivekachUDAmaNi 257 starting with the words ShaDUrmibhiH ....Sri
Chandrashekhara Bharati SwaminaH writes: क्षुत्पिपासे शोकमोहौ  जरामृत्यू
ऊर्मिवत् तरंगवत् उपर्युपरि सम्भवन्तीति एते षडूर्मय इति कथ्यन्ते ।

I think there is a reference to these three pairs in the Br.Upanishad too.
Someone may provide the same.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v