[Advaita-l] Scholarly Article on Why Vedas are Valid

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 13 14:11:08 CDT 2011

> How do we logically establish?
>

> 1. There are super-sensuous entities such as the Devas
> 2. Vedas are pramana for studying these super-sensuous objects

I presume point 1 above means that you would want to logically
establish the existence of devas and similar supersensuous entities
through means other than the veda-s.

If yes, you will have already established another pramANa for them.
In which case, you will have defeated the purpose of point 2 above.
The veda-s would be superfluous at best to your enterprise.

If no, you will first have to accept veda-s as the pramANa for point
1 above. In which case, you will have to give up the effort to logically
and independently establish point 2 above!

I am reminded of the story of the blind, childless, 90 year old beggar
whose prayer is to be able to see his great grandson crowned as king!

I fail to see why there seems to be such a great need to get religion
and religious texts mixed up into such strange avenues.

Vidyasankar