[Advaita-l] Māyāmatram etc

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 21:07:29 CDT 2011

2011/10/17 subhanu saxena <subhanu at hotmail.com>

> Namaste
>
> It is possible that Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati
> SwaminaH is simply following the erroneous views of Madhva and Ramanuja in
> this regard.

Namaste Subhanu ji,

I would not straightaway agree to the above conclusion.  Sri Chandrashekhara
Bharati SwaminaH is not known to make such mistakes.  His familiarity with
the Shankara bhashya and the tradition is quite deep.  I would rather think
that this sentence could have a basis in some less-known/minor upanishads.
For example in the Vivekachudamani the verse 363 says:

निरन्तराभ्यासवशात् तदित्थं पक्वं मनो ब्रह्मणि लीयते यदा ।
तदा समाधिः स विकल्पवर्जितः स्वतोऽद्वयानन्दरसानुभावकः ॥

and 366 says:

निर्विकल्पकसमाधिना स्फुटं ब्रह्मतत्त्वमवगम्यते ध्रुवम् ।
नान्यथा चलतया मनोगतेः प्रत्ययान्तरविमिश्रितं भवेत् ॥

can be seen to echo in the Maitrayani Upanishad:

समाधिर्निर्धूतमलस्य चेतसो निवेशितस्यात्मनि यत्सुखं भवेत् ।
न शक्यते वर्णयितुं गिरा तदा स्वयं तदन्तःकरणेन गृह्यते ॥  ४.४.९

There are some other statements of this upanishad that go very well with
several smRti and ShAnkaran views:

शनैः शनैरुपरमेद्बुद्ध्या धृतिगृहीतया .. of the Bh.Gita 6.25 can be seen
reflected in the above Upnishad:

लयविक्षेपरहितं मनः कृत्वा सुनिश्चलम् ।
यदा यात्यमनीभावं तदा तत्परमं पदम् ॥ ४.४.७
These ideas have correspondence in the Gaudapada karika-s too.  So I would
think that there could be some upanishadic base for the मायामात्रमिदं
...idea too.

On another note, I have seen a mention by Dr.B.N.K. Sharma that Sri Appayya
Dikshita also considers the First chapter of the GK - Agama prakaraNa as
shruti though I would like to verify that with scholars.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v