[Advaita-l] मायामात्रमिदं द्वैतं, अद्वैतं परमार्थतः

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Mon Oct 17 04:31:05 CDT 2011

El oct 16, 2011, a las 11:36 p.m., V Subrahmanian escribió:

> *Namaste.
>
> In the Vivekachudamani verse 406 we have this:
>
> मायामात्रमिदं द्वैतं*, अद्वैतं परमार्थतः|
> इति भ्रूते श्रुतिस्साक्षात्सुषुप्तावनुभूयते ॥
>
> In the commentary, Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati SwaminaH also says that the
> above quoted first line is a  shruti vAkyam.  Is there any reference
> available as to which shruti says so?  For, we are familiar with this line
> from the GaudapadakArika, Agama prakaraNam, which is the First chapter.
> However, the Madhva school holds this entire chapter as shruti.  In advaita
> tradition this chapter consists of both shruti and Gaudapada's kArika-s.

This is also cited by Sayana in the form:

मायामात्रमिदं द्वैतं अद्वैतं परमार्थतः |
इति माण्डूक्यशाखायां श्रुतिवाक्यमुदाहृतम् ॥

The location of the citation is found in Vidhushekhara Bhattacharya's book on Gaudapada.  These verses are also cited as श्रुति by, among others, Vidyaranya (Jivanmuktiviveka) and by Appayya Dikshita (cf. his sub-commentary under लोकवत् तु लीलाकैवल्यम्, २-१-३३), as also by both sides of the Nyayamrta-Advaitasiddhi debate.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao