[Advaita-l] Scholarly Article on Why Vedas are Valid

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 07:13:00 CDT 2011

Ramesh ji wrote:
>One cannot "establish" ANY pramANa using
> "logic". One has to assume pramANa-s *before* one can apply any logic.

True. And yet Ramesh ji, when we observe discussions (employing some
kind of reasoning etc) to decide the following kind of issues:
1. Most vedantins accept 6 pramANa-s
2. SrI SSS ji accepts only 5 pramANa-s
3. Buddhists accept 3 pramANa-s
4. Science accept 2 pramANa-s

(even assuming there are some nuances in the above statements of mine,
the choice of which epistemology to adopt is a valid question. What
would be the criteria, if any to make a choice? It can't exactly be
termed logic since logic is itself yet to be accepted as a pramANa- to
begin with. And yet the choice cannot be arbirtrary, surely.

I am particularly having in mind the discussions of anupalabdhi
pramANa, the non-acceptance of which has significant implications for
the nature of avidyA. Also, such discussions between SSS ji's
adherents and others do seem to have some kind of reasoning and quotes
from vArttika etc employed in them)

Om
Raghav