[Advaita-l] Scholarly Article on Why Vedas are Valid

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 07:01:45 CDT 2011

Dear Shri laliAlalitah,

The vedic seers might not have claimed authorship but there is no evidence
to suggest that they were not the authors. So, a modern scholar will not
accept that a text can be unauthored especially when it is known that the
texts reflect the contemporary knowledge of history, geography and science.

It would be good if we said that Vedas are inerrant. This is the same line
as taking Vedas as axiomatic truths and showing that they cannot be shown to
be wrong. The problem with this is that there are statements that will
contradict established scientific data. Theory of Evolution is as grounded
in genetic and fossil data. A lot of genetic engineering and medicine
depends on this today. Now, Vedas propose a Theory of Creation - Purusha
Suktam for example leave alone smrti. How would you account for such
"erroneous perception"

Best Regards
Rajaram Venkataramani