[Advaita-l] 'Difference' is due to 'upAdhi'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:32:20 CDT 2011

2011/10/28 Venkata sriram P <venkatasriramp at yahoo.in>

> Namaste,
>
> ////
>
> *उपाधिना क्रियते भेदरूपो*  देवः क्षेत्रेष्वेवमजोऽयमात्मा । इति । (shruti
> reference not given anywhere)
>
> //
>
> Though not sure whether the below rg veda vAkya fits the above one but
> surely reverberates with advaita siddhanta.
>
> The Rg Veda (6.47.18) says:
>
> rUpaM rUpaM pratirUpO bhabhUva tat asya rUpaM pratichakShaNAya /
> indrO mAyAbhiH pururUpa IyatE yuktA hyasya harayaH satAdasa //

I was not aware of the above mantra.  However there is a very similar
sounding mantra in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad ii.v.19.  These two mantras
are of the same 'category' that Shankara has cited in that passage: One
Reality alone appears owing to upAdhis as many.  Gaudapada too has cited
this mantra in the kArika:
*नेह नानेति* चाम्नायादिन्द्रो मायाभिरित्यपि ।
अजायमानो बहुधा मायया जायते तु सः । ।माण्डूक्योपनिषत्कारिका _३.२४

Regards,
subrahmanian.v