[Advaita-l] saMhita references

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 16:04:47 CDT 2011

Some additional thoughts:

Aitareya braahmaNa (5.3)  States that if some one sings this suukta in tune as well as rhythm, then the bhakta (the singer) experiences Indra's presence in his body !?

The background given in bR^ihddevataa is quite interesting. gR^itsamad R^ishii  acquires Inddra-svaruupa which was acquired though his practice of austerities.  Demon (asura) dhunii & chumuri circled him ( gR^itsamad R^ishii ) thinking that he is th real Indra.  That is why the repeating phrase (paalupada) "sa janaasa indra"  (Meaning - Indra is like this .) appears through out the entire suukta.  This is as illustration and the beginning of first R^icyaa yo jaata eva prathamo manasvaana.".

In this suukta 5th R^icaa highlights the concept of "shraddhaa", which is often recited together with "shraddhaa suukta (10.151)" during the medhaa-janana samskaara of upanayana.

Dr. Yadu