[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Veda

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 07:33:49 CDT 2011

(i)  Finally,  I am not able to understand what is going to fall on our
> head if we say tattvamasi, ahaM brahmAsmi ityAdi mAhAvAkya-s are the
> 'worded' revelation of some mahAjnAni-s just like vAmadeva's findings ahaM
> manu, ahaM sUrya etc.

Bhaskarji - PraNAms

You have answered your question. The important aspect of apourusheyatvam is to have a faith that the scriptures is telling us the truth without any bias. The rest is paraphernalia only.

If I take those are the words of revelation of great yogis of the yore, which have been confirmed by others also, and therefore I have a faith in those statements - and taking those statements are facts - then I have the necessary faith in those statements to proceed further in my saadhana. The essential ingredients are not the word apourusheyatvam but full faith in the words of wisdom that they are indeed true. There ends the matter.

Your reverential attitude towards the statements comes from your faith in those words. For example, please see the life of Nisargadatta maharaj - he had not studied the scriptures but he has full faith in the words of his teacher when he said tat tvam asi and explained what that means. It is the faith in the statements that they are absolutely true - carries the seeker forward.

If that faith is not there, even the apourusheyatvam also does not make much sense to a faithless seeker. naishaa tarkena matiraapaneya - since logic cannot provide the truth of the absolute, the words of the sages forms the working hypothesis to proceed.
Hari Om!
Sadananda