[Advaita-l] Apaurusheyatva of Vedas.

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 03:06:19 CDT 2011

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 02:40, Omkar Deshpande <omkar_deshpande at yahoo.com>wrote:

> <<<We only test validity of knowledge when we confront conflicts with
> another.
> Without any conflict we just accept them as true and behave accordingly.
> This observation is basis of svataH-prAmANya-vAda.>>>
>
> As an addendum to my last reply:
>
> Two other things that observation shows:
>
> 1. People can accept something as true and behave accordingly with total
> conviction, in the absence of conflict, and still be wrong about what they
> believe.

Correct.
Just replace 'can' with 'do' , ''wrong' with 'ultimately wrong' and
'believe' with 'know/determined'.

> 2. We accept validity of shabda based on presence of merits in the author,
> which goes hand-in-hand with absence of flaws in the author. Absence of
> author's flaws does not guarantee lack of invalidity, unless it entails
> presence of an author with merits (please see the examples in my reply to
> Sri Raghav Kumar).

Wrong.
When we accept svataH-prAmANya-vAda, even validity of shabda is intrinsic
and independent of author. So, shabda doesn't care presence of merit and
absence of merit in author.

 So observation, even if we were to formulate an epistemology based on it,
> wouldn't lead to svataH-prAmANya.

We have formulated and this same thing which I told you in many posts is
svataH-prAmANyam.
I am able understand problems in your understanding at a few places, but
I'll like them to come up on their own. I will wait for that and then reply
to clear traditional views.