[Advaita-l] Sankara's praise of Buddha

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Sep 22 01:01:39 CDT 2011

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Venkata Subramanian wrote:

>   -- How far this is an evidence I have to wonder here; though other
> standard articles that i have seen, use the above reasoning to identify
> an interpolation.....  If some one is interpolating and wants to pass
> off silently in the Original, he will naturally use the same Chandas
> (atleast) for fear of being very easily found off....

True but one common source of interpolation is when an independent work is
hoisted en masse into another.  This type can be detected by abrupt
changes in metre or anomalous literary features such as mangalacharana
where none should occur etc.

Note this is all speculation to one degree or another.  Short of using a
time machine we cannot prove these things with 100% certainty.  However my
point is that we often reach too easily for the excuse of "interpolation"
when our argument with a passage is ideological rather than text-critical.