[Advaita-l] Sankara's praise of Buddha

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:44:34 CDT 2011

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

2011/9/22 D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <dvnsarma at gmail.com>

> We are discussing whether Buddha the founder of Buddhism
> is one and the same as the one inducted into Dasavatars.

OK.
I was talking the same.

> I think the people contributing to the discussion have been trying
> to equate the two .

So, I was opposing.

> If the puranic Buddha (the one enumerated in
> dasavatars) is not the same one there is no meaning in bringing in
> the Sankara's criticism of Buddhism.

Even then refutation of buddhism is useful because teachings of both
buddha-s are opposed to veda-s.

> Neither is there any meaning
> in saying that his teaching to discard vedic rituals is to decieve asuras.

You are saying this because you think purANa-s are useless imaginations.
If this is so, then why are you considering buddha of purANa-s.
If that's not the case, then you can easily understand why those teachings
are there in purANa-s.

> By the way this is the only avatara in which God teaches untruth.
> We have made the God teach untruth to suit our convictions and convenience.

It clearly shows that you have no faith in words of purANa-s.
So, please don't engage in useless controversy of sameness of buddha-s.
You will either end in proving popular buddha imagined or devoid of it's
popular image.

> If they are not the same the same the question arises who is this puranic
> Buddha.

See another thread dealing with paurANika-buddha. It was made clear there.