[Advaita-l] Pitru Paksha Questions

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Sep 24 01:53:49 CDT 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, kman wrote:

> We have read so much about "Attachment - Bondage" and how to get rid of it.
> Now you are creating Bondage for
> your progeny!

No the father is simply informing the progeny of the debt that is in place
by the fact of human birth.  We are in debt to the Devas, Rshis, and Pitrs
because it was due to all three that we were born.  The debt to the Devas
is fulfilled by pujas, vratas etc.  The debt to the Rshis is fulfilled by
learning shastras, and the debt to the pitrs is fulfilled by shraddha of
which there are upto 96 occasions (though only the most dedicated practice
all of them.)

What would be the point of not mentioning this?  Do you think we should
not learn Vedanta?  After all if we didn't talk about bondage etc. then
people would be unaware that they are deluded and ignorance is bliss
right?  No actually ignorance is not bliss it is the cause of duhkha and
ensnarement in samsara.

> and worry yourself after death will my kid do this or not!
> Will I attain Moksha or not etc. (what if the kid dies immediately after the
> father's death?)

You definitely should not worry but do your duty to inform your children
of dharma.  To the results you should adopt a feeling of equanimity.  Your
duty is to the work not the results -- this is karmayoga.

As for the kid, why should he do anything.  Homework for instance?  After
all he could be hit by a bus die on the way to school.  Giving up dharma
will not make death any less inevitable.  It is the realization that life
in this world is fleeting that makes a mind mature and ready to accept
dharma not for any reward but simply as duty and an offering to Bhagavan.

> Also I see some of you saying until you take Sanyasa you have to continue
> the karma, formalities etc.
> It is same as saying, after I realized that it is only rope and not snake,
> but I still have to keep fearing that it is snake until I take sanyasa.

It doesn't matter how loudly you proclaim the snake is a rope if you
still keep treating it as a snake.  Actions speak louder than words.   You
cannot selectively claim to renounce relgious karma while continuing to
keep the karma of job, fancy house and car, computer etc.

> It is like saying I can use e=mc^2 only if I am a scintist.

How does one "use" a formula?  The formula is embedded in certain
applications like nuclear power for which you better believe there are
restrictions based on qualifications.

> So you keep learning all the fundamentals of Advaita and do not practice it
> until you become a sanyasi?

Learning is part of the practice.  Some rare people can change their point
of view just like that.  Most however will need time.  The goal is
sannyasa but the journey can still be beneficial even if the goal is not
reached yet.