[Advaita-l] Primacy of atmajnana

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:01:39 CDT 2011

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
lalitAlAlitaH <http://about.me/lalitaalaalitah/bio>*

2011/9/26 D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <dvnsarma at gmail.com>

> I want the members of the group to consider this sloka from Manusmriti.
>
> यथोक्तान्यपि कर्माणि परिहाय द्विजोत्तमः।
> आत्मज्ञाने शमे च स्याद्वेदाभ्यासे च यत्नवान्।।
>
> This is not meant for a sanyasi because he does not have any
> rituals enjoined on him.  This appears to be directed to grihasthas.

Correct.
This is not for saMnyAsI for provided reason.
But, it is not for a person who wants to stick to gR^ihastha-Ashrama too.
The word parihAya shows that it saMnyAsa must occur before AtmaGYAnam.
Shunning karma is not accepted without shunning Ashrama connected with it.

I've not explained it according to any commentary, etc. I'm just following
your line.