[Advaita-l] Iswara swaruupam - 3

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Apr 4 01:23:23 CDT 2012

If you say Ishwara is unreal, why don't you
concede  that you are Nirishwara Vedantin?

praNAms Sri rAjAram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I am sorry to say this, I think you are really fortunate that you are
getting continuous attention of scholars in this list (especially Sri
Vidya prabhuji, he seldom indulges himself in undeserving talks but here
in this thread he is surprisingly showing childlike enthusiasm:-) despite
your own (mis)understanding of advaita on Ishwara's position.

If I remember right, sometime back we had quoted shankara bhAshya on
ArambhaNAdhikaraNa in vedAnta sUtra wherein shankara without any ambiguity
clarifies that Iswara's existence & his omnipotence, omniscience etc.
holds good only in vyavahAra which is avidyAtmaka.  He also further
clarifies that the brahman conditioned by name and form set up by avidyA
becomes Ishwara ( there is room here to think it is only hiraNyagarbha not
saguNa brahman/Ishwara).  Do you think by saying this shankara has become
nirirshwara vAdi??  Kindly note that there is a vital role for Ishwara /
saguNa brahman to play in advaita vedAnta  and sAdhana.  Hence, even today
you can see temple & deities in advaita mutts.  One of the birudAvaLi-s of
shrungeri jagadguru is 'srimadvidyAshankara pAdapadmArAdhaka' though the
core teaching of advaita is ahaM brahmAsmi.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar