[Advaita-l] Ishwara's status in Advaita - A clarification

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 15:30:03 CDT 2012

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012, V Subrahmanian wrote:

> Subsequently I checked with Sastrigal and he categorically said 'there
> is no room for the thinking in Advaita that the saguna brahman is
> pAramArthika' and that no Advaita Acharya has said this in his works.

The popular view held by even a well read scholar such as yourself was that
Ishwara's form is pancha bautika. I pointed out that it is not
pancha-bautika according to Madhusudana. If Madhusudana or Sridhara says it
is Saguna Brahman, then will it change popular opinion? Even quoting
Sankara won't help because traditional belief has a strong influence on our
mind.

Try telling a Christian that evolution theory is as true as saying earth is
a sphere.