[Advaita-l] Ishwara Swarupam

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 06:57:49 CDT 2012

On Friday, April 13, 2012, V Subrahmanian wrote:

> I have not seen 'avyakta' being translated as Immutable. It is generally
> translated as 'unmanifest'.  Pl. give the source of your translation, if
> any.  'Immutable' is used to refer to Brahman/Atman in the sense of
> 'nirvikAri' ' *immutable object* is that whose state does not undergo any
> modification.' Also avyakta is inert principle like maya.  ['avyakta' as
> Atman/Brahman is not meant here.]  This term is used for Brahman in the BG
> 8 th chapter:

I did not mean avyakta means immutable. I meant avyakta, the unmanifest is
akshara, the immutable. In my understanding, avyakta can refer to the
sleeping state of Hiranyagarbha and also Brahman. Immutable       can also
refer to both. Right?

Why do you say avyakta is insentient? I think it is the basis of both
sentient and insentient whether it is used to refer to apara brahman or
para. Is it used to refer to pradhana?

In SB 5.1.13, avyakta dishtam meaning directed by avyakta is used.