[Advaita-l] Vegetarianism

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 11:48:18 CDT 2012

I am a member of PETA, Vegetarian Society and Vegan Society (though not a Vegan). In our campaigns, we de-link vegetarianism from religion. It is linked to health, animal rights and conservation of environments. The simplest answer you can give your friend is that "Plants do not have a nervous system and hence don't feel pain like animals do. Even if they suffer, it is not as much as animals. In our pursuit of pleasures, we should at least reduce pain to other lives. We can't live on air and water".

If he wants religious arguments for vegetarianism, it will be complex. He may argue that brahmins did yajnas. Unless he likes religion and philosophy, he may not find the discussion interesting.