[Advaita-l] akshobhya thirtha and Vidhyaranya

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Apr 15 22:09:47 CDT 2012

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012, praveen kumar wrote:

> The Mulabagal debate between Akshobhya theertha and Vidhyaranya,dvaita
> followers claim to be defeat for Vidhyaranya and advaita.I am interested
> to know what was the actual verdict from Vedanta Desika?My understanding
> is he only gave the verdict as'' with the sword of
> Tatvamasi,Akshobhyathirtha pierced the forest of Vidhyaranya''.

This has come up on the list before but I don't recall a firm conclusion.
What sounds fishy about it to me is that a vishishtadvaitin would have
just as much object to the Dvaita understanding of Tattvamasi as an
Advaitin would he not?

Supposedly this verdict is inscribed on a commemorative stone edict at the
place where the debate occurred.  The sources on the net which tell this
story mention the inscription but none seem to have seen it first hand.
Have any list members who are familiar with the area seen it?