[Advaita-l] An instance of Advaita wrongly comprehended

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:23:38 CDT 2012

Namaste Sada ji,

Thanks for your response.  The point in this particular case is that since
Advaita holds the world to be a superimposition on the rope-snake analogy,
the thinking among those not versed with the methods of Advaita tends to
hold that once the ignorance goes owing to Brahman-knowledge, the
superimposed world also should cease to be just as the rope knowledge
results in the cessation of the snake-perception.  The Swami's remark is in
this background.  To prove his point he cites the case of Arjuna continuing
to perceive the world even while having the Lord's (Brahman's) darshan in
the 11th chapter.  Going by the analogy, the Swami points out, Advaita's
'claim' that the world will cease to exist upon Brahmadarshana is false.
My endeavor was to show that Advaita never makes such a claim but on the
contrary expressly states the continued availability of the world for the
Jnani for vyavahara.

Regards,