[Advaita-l] Vegetarianism

kman krismanian at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:02:19 CDT 2012

Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 05:32:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shyam <shyam_md at yahoo.com>
Shyam,
    It is preposturous of you to mis-quote Thiruvalluvar.
He has a whole section dedicated for "Abstaining from eating meat"
Verse 251
How can he practice true compassion
Who eats the flesh of an animal to fatten his own flesh?
*Verse 255*
Life is perpetuated by not eating meat.
The clenched jaws of hell hold those who do.
Verse 256
If the world did not purchase and consume meat,
There would be none to slaughter and offer meat for sale.
Verse 257
When a man realizes that meat is the butchered flesh
Of another creature, he must abstain from eating it.
Verse 258
Perceptive souls who have abandoned passion
Will not feed on flesh abandoned by life.
Verse 259
Greater then a thousand ghee offerings consumed in sacrificial fires
Do not do sacrifice and consume any living creature.
Verse 260
All that lives will press palms together in prayerful adoration
Of those who refuse to slaughter and savor meat.
.

Some of these Vedic practrices were for the times they were living in. It
is for the educated and learned to take a lead in correcting the inhuman
practices. That is what Buddha did and  Jains also did. Vedic religion
corrected itself to survive against Janism and Buddism. You cannot re-write
history. However many time you say it a lie cannot become a true.

I also see hypocracy , on the one hand you will praise all animal Gods like
cows, Ganesh, Hanuman, Narashimha etc and on the other profess to kill any
and all animals. You praise the sacrifice of animals but not yourself. You
also gladly say that animals go to heaven when you kill them so you can
have guiltless satisfaction of your pallate.

>The prohibition in Kali applies to certain types of animal
>sacrifices, meat in sraddha ceremonies and begetting a son by the husband's
>brother.

Oh my God!  These were allowed in other yugas? especially the last one?
It is disgusting.