[Advaita-l] Sri Krishna Karnamrutam -6

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 18:53:58 CDT 2012

Sri Krishna Karnamrutam -6
Here is another incident as Krishna is growing up as a child. Yasodamaayya after milking the cow, prepared the milk and kept aside for the night. Little Krishna comes and asks for some more milk even though he had enough. But just to tease mayyaa he keeps pulling her duppata asking for more. Here is the conversation between the son and the mother.

maataH! kim yadunaatha? dehi caShakam! kimtena? paatum payaH,
tannastyadya – kadaastivaa? nishi, nishaa kaavaa? andhakaarodayaH|
aameelyaakshiyugam nishaapyupagataa deheeti? maaturmuhuH
vakshojaamshuka karShaNOdyakaraH krishnaH sa puShNaatu naH|| II-60

maata – mayyaa! kim yadunaatha – what is my yadukula naatha,  in essence affectionately saying my darling boy, dehi caShukam – please give me that that pot, kimtena – Why do you want it ?; paatum payam –I want to drink the milk in that; tannastyadya – That is not for now; kadaastivaa – then when (you are going to give me)?; nishi – in the night; nishii kaavaa – what is night?; andhakaaridayaH – when it becomes so dark that you cannot see;

After listening to the explanation of when night comes, Krishna mischievously says, closing his both eyes – akshiyugam aameelya; nishaapyugataa – right now night has come, since it is now dark and I cannot see anything; therefore dehi iti –now give me that milk pot. Like that he was pulling again and again her duppata –vakshijaamshuka karShaNa; udyutakaraH  – by lifting his hands and holding her duppata tightly and then pulling again and again – to that little mischievous little Krishna – sa KrishnaH; naH puShNaatu – may he protect us.
The compassionate Krishna wants to show his viswaruupam to his loving mother yasoda and creates a scene where he eats mother earth- an incident we are all familiar. It seems the mother earth was so happy when he started eating the mud since most of the time it stays near his feet – bhuuHpaadou, yasya naabhiH… says purusha suuktam. Normally he shows the virat swaruupam outside as he did for Arjuna. But here a rare incident where the whole cosmos is shown in his mouth for his loving mother, Yasoda mayyaa. Here is Leekasuka’s description of the virat swaruupa darshanam in the mouth of little Krishna’s mouth.

kriShNe naamba! gatena rantu madhunaa mRidbhakshitaa svecchayaa
sathyam krishNa! ka yeva maaha? musalii; mithyamba! pasyaananam|
vyaade heeti vidirite sishumukhe dRiShTvaa samastam jagat
maataa yasya jagaama vismayapadam paayaat sanaH keshavaH|II-65

amba! athunaa – mayyaa! Right now; rantum gatena – one who has gone to play; krishnena – by Krishna, svecchayaa mRit bhakshitaa – himself wantingly eat the mud (not forced by any). When Balarama said this mother Yasoda, she confronts him and asks – Krishnaa! Satyam? – is this true? –ka yevam aaha? – who told you this? Amba! mityaa- Oh! mayaa! this is false accusation; me aananam pasya –look into my mouth; vyaadehi iti – then open your mouth- demanded Yasoda mayyaa. vidaarate shishumukhe – in the opened mouth of the little baby Krishna; samastam jagat – the whole cosmos; dRiShTvaa – having seen; yasya maataa – whose mother; vismayam padam jagaama – reached a state of wonder; sa keshavaH – that Keshava; naH paayaat – protect us.

Keshava is explained as ka standing for creator Brahmaji, eeShaH – involving both sthiti kaara, Vishnu, and layakaara –Shiva – that the whole creation, sustenance and annihilation is being shown in essence in the little mouth of Krishna.  Scriptures defines Brahman only this way which is called taTasta lakshana – yatova imaani bhuutani jaayante, yena jaatani jiivanti- yat prayam tyabhisam vishanti … tat brahmeti. Thus Krishna as Brahms sutra says janamaadyasya yataH – that who is the cause for the creation-sustenance and annihilation – yet different form all the three since Krishna is showing all that in his mouth, thus He is different from what is seen in his mouth. That Krishna may He protect us all – says Leelasuka.

Hari Om!
Sadananda