[Advaita-l] Imagined Nature of Ignorance in Vivaranam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 12:10:25 CDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Shyam <shyam_md at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> And only svarupa aka rope is, plus a blank "absence" - jnana abhava –
> absence [of rope-svarupa-knowledge] on the part of a [snake] intellect
> that is itself fully resolved -
> in other words rope plus a barren void.
>
> How does a "snake-intellect" now re-emerge from this vacuous void and
> then, rather audaciously,
> disengage from the embrace of svarupA rope is a question that requires an
> agency or cause.
>
> In characterizing and defining such a anirvachaneeya mula avidyA or beeja
> shakti alone does Sankara clarify in the Sutrabhashya
>
> "For that causal potentiality is of the nature of Avidya - avidyatmika hi
> sa beejashakti;
> it is rightly denoted by the term 'undeveloped; avyakta shabda nirdeshya'
> it has the Supreme Lord for its substratum Parameshwara ashraya;
> it is of the nature of an illusion Maya - mayi; it is a universal sleep
> Mahasushupti
> in which are lying the transmigrating souls sansarino jeeva
> destitute for the time of the consciousness of their individual character
> svarupapratibodha rahita.
>
> Sometimes, again, it is denoted by the term Akshara, the Imperishable; so,
> for instance (Mu. Up. II, 1, 2),
> 'Higher, than the high Imperishable.'
>
> Sometimes it is spoken of as Maya - mayeti suchitam - so, for instance
> (Sve. Up. IV, 10),
> 'Know then Prakriti is Maya, and the Supreme Lord is the Master of Maya'
> For Maya is properly called
> undeveloped - Avyakta hi sa Maya - since it cannot be defined either as
> that which is or that which is not
> tattvanyatvanirupanamya-ashakyatvat.
>
> The statement of the Katha Up that 'the Avyakta is beyond the Mahat' is
> based on the fact of the Mahat originating from the Avyakta, if the Mahat
> be the intellect of
> Hiranyagarbha. If, on the other hand, we understand by the Mahat the
> individual soul, the statement is
> founded on the fact of the existence of the individual soul depending on
> the Undeveloped
> avyaktaadheenatva jeevabhavasya, i.e. Avidya. Avidya hi avyaktam. And it
> is because of the possession
> of ignorance by the individual that all kinds of emprical behavior
> continue forever jivasya sarvahsanvyavahara.
>
> How painstakingly does the Acharya apply the same coat of hue in brush
> after brush! Here-in we find such a
> vivid all-encompassing presentation from the benevolence of our beloved
> Acharya.
>
> That Primordial Power is Beeja Shakti.
> That beeja Shakti is Avidya.
> This avidya, this Shakti is termed Avyakta.
> This Avyakta is alone Maya.
> This Maya is also called Akshara, the Imperishable.
> Maya is also called Prakrti.
> Avyakta is Avidya alone
>
> And this Shakti/Maya/Avidya/Prakrti/Avyakta can neither be characterized
> as Real nor Unreal, and it has
> for its substratum the Supreme Lord Parabrahman.

Namaste

And by going the reverse way, in Parabrahman is superimposed the
Shakti/Maya/Avidya/Prakrti/Avyakta which is anAdi anirvAchyA.  And this
potentially becomes the nAma-rUpaatmakam jagat/samsara.  A few days ago I
had presented in this forum two instances of 'anAditva' of both avidyA and
mAyA coming from the Acharya's words.  The former is from the Kathopanishad
mantra 'utthiShThata jAgrata' where the opening words of the bhAshyam are
'anAdyavidyAprasuptAh..'.  And the anAditva of mAyA is from the Mandukya
kArikA 'anAdimAyayA suptaH. '     We can see the correspondence in the
description of both mAyA and avidyA: it is a suptiH.  A sleep where the
undercurrent is mAyA/avidyA.  Thus both are tamas. In Advaita this
shakti/avidyA is admitted purely for the sake of explaining
creation/samsara.  Shankara has explicitly said in another BSB that
'without this shakti Brahman will be unable to engage in creation.'  So, it
is a shAstrakRta adhyAropa in Brahman.  And since Brahman alone appears as
the jiva, it is again the shAstrakRta adhyAropa of avidyA in Brahman to
explain jiva's samsara.  This point is made clear in the Br.Up.1.4.10
bhashya (aham brahma asmi context).  So, it is settled beyond doubt that
both mAyA and avidyA are a shakti superimposed in Brahman to explain
creation/samsara.  The apavAda of this shakti comes about in the aparoksha
jnanam (bhUtaprakRtimoksham...Bh.G.13th last verse).  Thus the contingency
of advaita hAni will never arise since the shakti is admitted ONLY as an
adhyAropa.

regards
subrahmanian.v