[Advaita-l] Vikalpa, Savikalpa, and Nirvikalpa

vinayaka ns brahmavadin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 00:06:16 CDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:52 AM, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <
lalitaalaalitah at gmail.com> wrote:

> *श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <http://www.lalitaalaalitah.com>
> lalitAlAlitaH <http://dooid.com/lalitaalaalitah>*
>

> If AtmAkAravR^itti is accepted in samAdhi, then it's sampraGYAta-samAdhi or
> savikalpa-samAdhi.
> If there is no vR^itti, then it's asaMpraGYAta-samAdhi or
> nirvikalpa-samAdhi.
> This is my position.

=====================

Namaste.

This is the crux of the issue. Everything else revolves around this. I have
no problem with the view which states that vritti is present in the
nirvikalpa-samAdhi. sadAnanda yOgIndra makes it very clear in the
vEdAntasAra which tallies with the view held by the AchArya who
preached/practised nivrikalpa samAdhi. I also hold that the samAdhi
mentioned in the 1st chapter of the panchadashi is nirvikalpa samAdhi only.

sAdhaka gains the aparOksha jnAna in samAdhi with the help of akhaNDAkAra
vritti which is present in the nirvikalpa samAdhi.

Thanks for the clarification.

Best Wishes,

Vinayaka