[Advaita-l] Idol worship question

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 21:57:57 CST 2012

Namaste

Vaishnavas say Brahma is in Devata  Vigrahas. We have to offer Pooja
to Idols thinking we are worshipping God. But in Advaita Brahma is
Nirguna. It has no shape and size. How can we explain Murti Pooja? If
you say Brahman is in Idol we can say Brahman is in everything not
only idols. He is in every stone. Can we worship a stone lying in the
street thinking it is God? What is difference between that stone and
Idols in a temple?

Some scholars are saying in Vedic worship there is no Idol. There is
only Yajna. We have to offer worship to any God through Agni only. No
need for Idols. Is this correct?

-Venkatesh