[Advaita-l] Prapatti

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 10:21:54 CST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2012, Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:
>
> You can have prArthanA without prapatti.  According to your explanation,
> it means the feeling that "I am incapable of action so God, you take over."
>  I don't see why that is necessary in order to offer namaskaras. The
> Advaita prayer would be "I am trying to find you and know you God, may you
> help me be successful."
>

> Rajaram: Prarthana needs qualification to be effective but prappatti does
> not depend on prapanna's qualification. If my understanding of prappatti is
> right, it produces assured result of transport to vaikuntha on exhaustion
> of prarabda. I wanted to know if it is an authorised vedic ritual. I have
> not heard of it as being part of advaita tradition to go to Vishnuloka or
> Sivaloka.
>

> To go to Vishnu means to "know His infinite attributes" as you said and to
> know that these are the attributes of your own self. It is not sitting
> around waiting for Him to do it for you.

 Rajaram: In advaita, the Self cannot be said to know the infinite
attributes superimposed on it through Maya, right? Krama mukti is more
interesting because the self gets to know the infinite atttributes in
brahmaloka. I am not suggesting doing nothing but finding the easiest path
to bliss. The path of jivan-muktiis hard and it does satisfy the curiosity
to know the infinite attributes of the lord.