[Advaita-l] Shuka and Gaudapada

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 22:05:56 CST 2012

The brahmins did not have the Gupta surname. The Gupta surname is for the kshatriyas only. I reemember reading some years ago that Chandrasarma (the purvashrama name of Govindapada) is said to have had four wives and one of the wife was a princess from the Maurya dynasty. By a quirk of fate his first son Bhartrihari, from his brahmin wife became the ruler of Ujjain as Vikramarka, the son of his kshatriya wife was young. Bhartrihari had some family disappointment and he took to sanyasha. By that time Vikramarka grew up. When Govindapada took his samadhi, Vikramarka came to the place near Narmada, where Govindapada tok his samadhi. It seems the people of Ujjain vouch for this till today.

Regards,

Sunil KB