[Advaita-l] Why realization is difficult?

Sumitha Ramachandran sumitha.rama at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 02:27:34 CST 2012

Namaste.
        It was a happy coincidence.
I am reproducing here a mail I received from another group today.

humbly,
smt.sumitha

A Nama from Vishnu Sahasranama:

778 OM durgamaaya namaH .
"One Who is realized with difficulty."* In Bhaagavata there is a statement
that the Lord is easily obtained (A-dur-gamah). For those who have not already
developed extreme meditative abilities in their devoted hearts, the processes
of self development, when studied from a book or heard from a teacher, the
immediate reaction in the bosom of such students will be that it is very
difficult. But as he marches forward in his saadhanaa he gains the further
guidance and inspiration to 'go-forward'. More bounteous aspects on him beam
and the 'kindly light' leads him safely to the goal through all obstacles. A
candle or torch can at best light up only ten or fifteen yards in front of a
traveller. It can never illuminate the whole path of one or two miles at a
stretch. He has to start and proceed as far as he can see and as he marches
ahead the forward stretches will be illuminated.
* (Durgam pathastatkavayo vadanti.) --Kathopanishad-1.3.14.