[Advaita-l] Why is jagat mithya?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jan 18 22:03:33 CST 2012

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Jaldhar Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sri Vyas prabhuji :

Well Shruti does not say only that in fact it talks about a lot of things
which appear not to be Brahman.

>  Yes prabhuji.  And as you know, for this appearance also the
adhishtAnaM is brahman only adds shruti.  neha nanAsti kiMchana..if we see
the jars & pots as an individual reality apart from clay then it is
nAnAtva, but if we see the same jars & pots as 'clay' then it is
ekamevAdviteeyaM.  Former is 'upAdhi drushti' later is 'ekatva' drushti.

How can we talk about non-Brahman?  Why does it seem that the knowledge
that we find via pratyaksha pramana
indicates non-Brahman?

>   Yes, non-brahman (neti) rejection should end in brahman only.  Hence
shruti (bruhadAraNyaka) says those who 'see' this jagat as anAtma they are
not qualified to get mOksha.  shankara in mundaka makes an important
observation with regard to this.  He says, those who have been influenced
by avidyA would see this jagat as 'abrahma' 'anAtma', but this abrahma
pratyaya (seeing jagat as abrahma) is avidyAkalpita..but in reality jagat
is not abrahma, it is brahman only !!

> Kindly bear with me prabhuji, I'm just sharing my thoughts on this topic
prabhuji.  Please correct me if I said anything wrong.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar