[Advaita-l] Why is jagat mithya?

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 22:56:12 CST 2012

Hari Om, Venkateshji,

Thus far, it seemed that you'd misunderstood advaita vedanta terminology of
mithyA, mAyA, sat & asat. Now, its clear that you've mixed up several
issues over and above this! I shall list the problem areas as seen over
your last mail:

i) When Advaita Vedanta talks of mAyA, its never isolated from Ishvara
since it is indeed Ishvara's mAyA. You miss saguNa here and reduce it to
shunyatA somehow!

ii) Unity of brahmaNAs is neither a goal nor a side-effect of moksha
sAdhana as per Advaita Vedanta. So compromising shruti tattva for a social
goal or whatever you have on your mind is too much of a deviation from the
subject matter!

iii) While you see that mAyAvAda is the cause of debates with others, we do
not see it that way. And even if its so, tattva cannot be compromised to
avoid debates; sAmpradAyika way has always been to involve discussions and
debates to establish tattva instead!

iv) You sound as if you're following neovedAnti's flavouring of advaita
vedAnta; no sampradAyavAdi has neglected saguNa brahman!

v) Finally, a fundamental flaw with teaching everything is brahman without
the aspect of mithyatva is visible in your own approach. Why else would you
have difficulty in considering various approaches to teach also as brahman
only, including the debates? You still feel the need to assert that things
are wrong and in need of correction. If everything is brahman, then why
correct anything? The need to correct is itself mithyA!

gurupAdukArpaNamastu,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */